Her job was going to end soon. And she thought about the many ways she savored the end of things…
- dessert at the conclusion of a meal.
- the jingle of spare change left after the bill was paid. Even better, she enjoyed using up all of her spare change.
- the end bits of soap, the last drabs of lotion, the final swipe of lip balm.
- sunsets, which she found infinitely more interesting than sunrises.
- hearing how the day went rather than what was on the agenda for the day ahead.
- the way in which a good story concluded.
- the return to home and routine and familiarity at the end of a journey.
- the last moment before she fell asleep every day and said good night to all the darkness of that day.
The end could sometimes be really good.